Sunday, October 5, 2008

St. Patrick's Cathedral

During Jeff and my meanderings that night, we came across St. Patrick's cathedral. Let's just say it stood out. It is a gorgeous cathedral stuck right in the middle of all of these modern skyscrapers. Later we learned that it is the largest cathedral in the US. It was built in the 1870's which kind of make it a contemporary of the Salt Lake Temple.



Here's the outside view.



If you look at the people, you can see how huge those doors are.


The inside didn't photograph very well. It's really hard to express the scale and grandeur in a picture, but here a couple of our tries.

This is a stained glass window. You can't really tell that from the picture. I'm guessing that it would have been quite a sight to see it while the sun was shining through it.

We couldn't get a very good picture of this because it was up too high, but there is a gorgeous, blue stained glass window at the top and all the organ pipes underneath it. If you enlarge the picture you should be able to see them better.

This cathdral was truly awe inspiring. I really enjoyed walking through it looking at all the art and architecture. But, I couldn't help contrasting the spirit I felt inside this cathedral compared with the spirit I felt in the temple just hours before this. Inside the cathedral I felt reverence and awe for the works of man. Inside the LDS temple, I felt a feeling of peace and reverence for God. Coming out of the cathedral I thought, "that was cool." Coming out of the temple I felt very strongly that that was where I was supposed to be and that I had done the right thing by going there. It was neat to feel the contrast in the course of one day.

No comments: